I partake in the ritual practice of getting my nails done twice a month.
One of those days just happened to be yesterday.
I always go to the same salon because a) the shellac manicures are cheap, b) they do a stellar job, and c) they have a pretty decent shellac selection.
For those of you who have gotten shellac manicures before, I’m sure you know all about the little foil fingertips and UV lights; if you get regular manicures, well, these things might seem odd to you.
Either way, I’m sure most of you ladies can relate to these 15 thoughts I have at the nail salon.
1. Why are there so many color options? Am I seriously only allowed to pick one? Why are they staring at me? Okay, now I’m nervous.
2. Eeney meeney miney – oh, for crying out loud – STOP STARING AT ME. Fine. This color.
3. Ugh, I hate this tin foil on my fingertips. I feel like an alien.
4. Okay, who’s doing my manicure? Oh, please not her, not her, not her… oh good, it’s not her.
(Am I crazy when I only want one or two of the ladies working there to do my nails? There’s one girl at the place I go to who just doesn’t seem to care; she’ll rush through the manicure leaving your nails unevenly filed and the manicure is always sloppy. I’ve actually started requesting other estheticians because of it.)
5. Um, I’d like to keep my nail, thanks – you’re filing them down way too much. Stop filing. STOP IT.
6. Oh, no, you’re good. Carry on.
7. Why is she laughing? Is she talking about me? She’s totally talking about me.
8. I think I should have picked a different color, I don’t know if I can handle this one for two weeks. This is what happens what I have to choose a color under pressure.
9. Ugh, there’s a piece of towel lint on my nail. Does she see it? LADY! THE LINT!
10. Oh good, she sees it. Not this time, lint. Buh-bye.
11. Alright, I take it back – this color is perfect.
12. I can’t wait to switch hands, it’s freezing in here. My left hand is toasty, but my right hand is frigid. Hurry up and polish so my fingers don’t fall off.
13. Do I want an arm AND back massage? Hell yes, I want an arm and back massage!
14. Ohhhh, good God, this is glorious.
15. Wait, that’s it? We’re all done? Oh. Okay.
The color I chose this time around is called ‘Cake Pop’ from CND Shellac. I usually only wear this color in the summer, but it’s starting to become sunnier and a little warmer, so I thought I’d invite the spring-ish weather with a nice, bright pink.
There have been multiple occasions where I choose a color, but right before we get to the actual polish part (and because I’m sitting there staring at the wall of colors), I change my mind.
I know I’m not the only one doing this, or having any of the above thoughts.
For those of you who think getting your nails done is a relaxing experience – you’re half right. It usually is, but for people like me who obsess over nail polish/shellac looking perfect, it’s also a little stressful. But if I’m paying for my nails to be done, I expect them done right so they’ll last the full two weeks.
Anyone else a little obsessive over cuticle care?
No? Just me?