The air is crisp, the leaves are changing colours, boys begin to disappear on Sunday’s, and are glued to the television to watch football players (wearing their ever-so-tight pants) hit the field and score those touchdowns.
That ‘tight pants’ thing is really just for me, but yes, friends, football is back!
Personally, I don’t fully understand football; there are so many rules and different plays, and sometimes it’s hard to follow. What I do understand, however, is nachos!
So why are they considered being ‘football friendly?” Well, you eat them with friends while watching football. Duh.
FOOTBALL FRIENDLY BBQ NACHOS
What you’ll need..
- tortilla chips
- chicken breast
- green peppers
- onions (white and green)
- sour cream
- barbecue sauce
- ancho chili powder
- salt and pepper
What you’ll need to do..
- First things first, grab a baking tray and line it with some aluminum foil. Preheat your oven to 250F/120C. I keep it on a low heat so the cheese gets nice and melty, and the chips crisp up a bit more without burning.
- Dice the chicken breast into small, bite sized pieces, and season to taste. I specifically use paprika, salt, pepper, and ancho chili powder. Let the chicken sit for about 20 minutes to absorb some of the seasoning.
- Fry up the chicken, tossing it in some BBQ sauce when it’s cooked, and then set it to the side so you can dice your veggies and shred your cheese.
- Once your veggies are chopped and ready to go, assemble your nachos, and don’t forget to layer: chips, cheese, green peppers, onion, chicken, repeat. Save the fresh tomatoes and green onions for the end.
- Throw your nachos into the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling. Every oven is different, so I would suggest keeping an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Spoon some salsa and sour cream into bowls, and top your nachos with diced fresh tomatoes and green onions.
- Eat your Football Friendly BBQ Nachos!
How good do those look?!
Now, you may be asking, “Cassie, why didn’t you put any amounts beside the ingredients?” Well, That’s because these nachos are super customizable, and you can put as little (or as much) of anything you want on them!
Don’t like chicken? Use steak strips!
Not a fan of tomatoes? Don’t put tomatoes on your nachos!
So next time you and your friends are sitting down to watch a football game on a sunny Sunday, keep these nachos in mind when you’re wanting something to munch on. They’re the perfect, delicious, sharable snack (seriously, I just made these for three people, and there are still about half of the nachos left!).
No one’s complaining though, it’s just half time for us nacho eaters!